March 25, 2014

Gas Station Mexican Food -- 4.4/4.8

I went down to the great St. George last weekend for some baseball and sunshine. So, naturally, I ate Mexican food at 2 different gas stations in one day. If you were looking for an excuse to stop reading my blog now is probably the time. Go ahead, just tell people that I started reviewing gas stations. Wait hold up. Why doesn't somebody have a blog reviewing gas stations? OH MY GOSH THAT IS A GENIUS IDEA.

"Gas or Go"

“Pump ’N Dump?"

"To Pee or Not to Pee”


I would buy stock in that blog.


~Gas Station Mexican food #1~

ROBERTO'S TACO SHOP -- 4.4
653 W 1400 N Beaver UT


Like seriously. I’m talking about gas station tacos. In Beaver.

It's the 1st exit in Beaver when you are heading southbound, the gas station with the Wendy's and the HUGE spa bathroom (apparently only the girls bathroom rocks. I sneaked a pic for all you boys who don't get to experience this kind of luxury. See below.).


(The bottom picture is messed up a little because I got nervous/scared when I heard someone coming. I really didn’t want them to ask why I was sneaking pics of the bathroom so I freaked out and ruined the panorama.)

I first ate at Roberto’s a couple of years ago after I actually saw their food and realized that there was a chance I might not catch diseases. Now whenever we go to Beaver (gotta love Beaver! “Best water on Earth” - said no one ever) I make sure to manipulate our departure time so that we will hit Beaver right around meal time.

The food is pretty authentic! Which makes it taste even better. Food is 1/2 taste, 1/4 presentation, and 1/4 experience. This last time I had the carnita’s and they were like fist pump good. Super fatty meat, which tastes a lot better than I made it sound. I’ve previously had the breakfast burritos and they are like the epitome of breakfast burritos. Definitley better than Beto’s in my opinion. Is Beto’s even that good? Every time I go there I feel like all I’m eating is a dead pig wrapped in a tortilla (fried in a little hometown pride and tradition of course).


Roberto's is definitely one of the more sketchy places I’ve eaten. But, I figured out that any taco shop with pickled carrots is probably gonna be at least decent. Roberto’s even has those little red & green sauces along with the pickled carrots. Love is in the details. So look past the tiny counter, the heavy bathroom traffic, the trucker in the wife beater looking at you from the I heart Beaver t-shirt aisle, and the tacky sneezing guy in line behind you. Find the carrots, and you’re golden.

“Hi! I just want a small order of beans” - Tacky sneezing guy^^

Try Roberto’s next time you’re in Beaver! Skip Wendy’s, live a little.


~Gas Station Mexican food #2~

JALAPENO’S -- 4.8
386 N Bluff St. Saint George UT

Jalapeno’s was our next gas station meal of the day! Although, this one was a little more appealing than Roberto’s because it wasn’t really in the gas station, it was more of an after thought built on to the side of a gas station. You know when something just doesn’t seem complete and you think to yourself, “What this needs is a little Mexican place attached to it.” Anything would be better with a little Mexican place attached to it.

My mom was actually the one who suggested JalapeƱo's because of their ceviche (basically fish salsa) that she had the day before. There was a great spread of classic taco condiments on the counter, always a promising feature. And I’m not sure how to put this, but there was like a real Mexican cowboy eating in the corner. Hat and all. Like I think when he left he walked off into the desert with that western/scowling/duel music playing. Which would have been amazing.

(Notice the carrots)

The ceviche was way good, if you like that sort of thing of course ha ha. But I think the star of the night for me was my Chile Relleno. It was the best. The beans and rice were money. I loved it . . . so much. I want like 6 more right now. The only downside is I have no idea how to say Relleno without sounding like a white chick.


WARNING: I do not suggest eating Mexican food twice in one day, let alone gas station Mexican food twice in one day. I was a little uneasy the next day but I made it through just fine. I’ve got a strong stomach though, you may not be so lucky.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment