April 16, 2015

El Gallo Giro - 4.9

 I don't remember what initially got me through the doors of El Gallo Giro. Whether is was pinches of intuition or a referral from a kind stranger, I'm not sure. However, I have a distinct smell memory (smellmory) of the exact moment I first walked in. I remember the smokey air had whisperings of slow roasted chicken. I breathed it in like I was walking into my house after a long drive. You know when a smell silences all your fears? Like beach peach cobbler at Lake Powell or grandma's twice baked potatoes or fresh raspberries in the summer or El Gallo Giro.


My favorite restaurant in Peru, Las Vickis, actually smelled exactly on point like El Gallo Giro. Every time I walked in I traveled through time and space back home. Smells can do that, you know.

Smells aside, this place screams authentic. Open kitchen, a variety of pickled things, nice people, Carnival banners, great looking food and garden lights. You know how I feel about garden lights. Most mexican restaurants tend to gravitate towards the same aura. El Gallo Giro has a hipper, earthier, roastier vibe about it and I like how it makes me FEEL. Plus, they are serving house made horchata from a barrel. So.

The food is A++ quality. We're talkin' stankface quality here. Anything you get is going to be good but here are some suggestions:

1. The BYU Deals are only $5, so cheers to all you fellow poor people! I've had the sopes and they were spot on.

Sopes

2. If you're really hungry or with some friends try The Rock. It's a giant stone carrier full of meats and peppers. Steak, chicken, shrimp, etc. Comes with tortillas and serves 4 people!

3. Pollo a la Braza is a new favorite ever since Peru. It's just a giant piece of slow roasted chicken served with rice and beans. So pure. So tasty. Ask for tortillas on the side for a real treat.

Pollo a la Braza. Harsh lighting, easy eating.

4. Chillaquiles con huevos. Not sure what is going on here, but it has eggs on top and it's amazing. This is what I'm ordering next time I go in if that tells you anything.

5. And TRY THE HORCHATA. This is the only place I don't drink just water.

Horchata: milky drink made with rice and cinnamon

El Gallo Giro is located on University Avenue at about 350 N. Just look for the giant white sign with the chicken (pictured below for your convenience).




Sorry this post is still 30% about Peru, I'm still wearing off.

Happy eating,

Kayla

(Oh and they have mango salsa and I love mango salsa.)

No comments:

Post a Comment