February 23, 2014

Cubby's -- 4.8

This is a pretty consistently solid place. I’ve been there 3 times before I could even blog about it because I liked it so much (and I was busy, but this is a food blog not a sappy sob blog so I’ll spare you the details). I’d seen it a million times, who wouldn’t notice a giant cow under a giant CUBBY’S sign. Like it’s a GIANT sign. But ehh...it was right around the corner from that crack pot coffee shop place on Bulldog in Provo next to Macey’s. Little sketch. But I’ll admit it, I was wrong! The only sketchy thing about Cubby’s is that you have to go to Narnia and back to find the bathrooms, and I can deal with that.

When I walked in for the first time I just started nodding like "Yep, yep, this is it." I looked like a crazy person but I don't give a crap cause I know a good restaurant when I see one! I want to say the vibe is hipster but it's really not. At least not the fake "hipster" that everyone does now (Provo I’m talking to you). It's more like modern, chic hipster (guys who wear velvet sports coats and cool watches. It’s a mix of the vibes from Justin Timberlake and Macklemore). There’s big bulb light strings hanging from the ceilings, chalk boards as walls, guys with long beards, and they serve stuff like “quinoa of the week."

Of course I had to ask about their menu before I could decide what to eat. I was directed towards the Tri Tip items--salad or sandwich. I was feelin in the mood for feta so I went with the salad. And let me tell you I’m glad I did. It was like...I saw my future with this salad. I imagined me coming into Cubby’s with my husband and little Kayla’s years down the road (YEARS). Then as I was imagining this in my head I was like “Oh my gosh. What is this taste in my mouth? WHAT WAS THAT WONDERFUL BURST OF FLAVOR? Dried cherries." Dried cherries, feta, cilantro, tomatoes, almonds, lime-cilantro dressing. It was wonderful it really was. Oh and I forgot the steak! Beautiful. Beautiful meat.

(P.S. like it really is a lot better than this picture makes it look. 
If you want better pictures on my blog give me money and I’ll try harder.)

I have also had the buffalo bleu cheese fries and they are winners. Not too bleu cheesy and they have a great buffalo sauce! Sweet potato fries are also great. Ha ha I saw that they had rosemary peppered fries so I made them make my sweet potato fries like that (I’m so annoying) but I’m going to do that every time now. But please, if you order your fries like that don’t tell them it’s because I told you to. I want them to like me.

It’s just the kind of place that you should go all the time. I feel like by the end of the semester I’ll come in and they’ll be like “Hey Kayla! What’ll ya have?” like in all those movies about small towns. I love it, really. So next time you’re trying to decide where to eat and all the kids are like “I don’t care” or your boyfriend says “I wanna go where you wanna go” (side note: dump him for a man with some gumption), GO TO CUBBY’S. Or if you’re like me and only ask people to hang out when you can’t stop craving something and don’t want to be a loser and go eat at a restaurant alone (yesterday people, I did that yesterday) then take those people to Cubby’s.

Thank you and follow me on instagram: @eatingisthebest

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment