January 31, 2015

Cajamarca, Peru Market and Ceviche

Normally, I would have a little sassy shpeel for you. I'd go on, and on about all the weirdness and wonders of a Peruvian market. But these pictures are exactly what it's like. They tell the truth. I can't compete with the truth and I don't intend to try. So, here. Enjoy. 








































After the market we headed over to our intern coordinator/friend Liz's house for some homemade ceviche. It was so incredibly delicious. But don't take my word for it, check it:





A Peruvian take on corn tortillas. White corn, milk, eggs. Blend until batter-like and then fry in just a little oil. INCREDIBLE. I had like 12. See further below for finished project.




















Ceviche is kind of like a fish salsa (mas o menos). It's raw fish--shark in this case--mixed with lime, garlic, onions, spicy peppers and cilantro. The lime actually somehow magically cooks the fish? I don't know how and frankly I don't care. Please, just give me more. Also, more tortillas. Please.








Fresh passion fruit juice. That is all. Actually no, it's not all. They actually make juice by squeezing and squashing the life out of the seeds through a strainer and then adding boiling water and a butt load of sugar. It's served warm! I've also had the chicha morada (purple corn) juice, weirdly delicious. My favorite kind.


Yams or sweet potatoes. How do I know? Seriously tell me. Also, looking for the name of the yellow colored potato that is super sweet and delicious. Let me know if you have any information.






Cilantro rice with chicken and veggies. Definitely not starving out here in Peru.

Weren't those pictures beautiful? I love food so much ha ha. Follow me on instagram for more updates on pretty Peruvian food: @eatingisthebest

Love you guys! Also, never take pizza or waffles for granted. 

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment