August 7, 2014

Campfire Orange Rolls

I don’t typically love orange rolls. A lot of times they taste more like potpourri than a dessert. But I am a strong believer that if you have the right ingredients and the right execution you can make almost anything tasty. Plus when you mix in good pictures and a campfire---you’re on a road to a Happy Kayla.

When I first saw these on Pinterest (gasp! A Mormon girl on Pinterest) my mouth started watering and my wheels started turning. They were in my oven within 24 hours. I’m a go getter.

(Here is the original pin. But you might want to wait to pin it until you see my pictures. They are really good. Shamelessly bragging about what you’re about to see here.)


That is seriously a picture I actually took of food I actually made. I’ve never been prouder of myself. I MADE THAT. And you can too--maybe not as good--but you can still try.  

And try you should, because these little babies are scrumptious. They were not overbearing, but they still held their own. I think the peel aided in the softness of the roll, it was like the center of a cinnamon roll all over the roll (the center still was the best part and it will continue to be for the rest of time). They’re one of those things where you eat one and think “I could have 6 more of those” and then you do because it makes your belly happy and when your belly’s happy your happy and nothing else really matters. 

May I also add that I do not bake. Ask anyone. My best friend Kylee is the one with the baking talent (stay tuned for her bakery in 10+ years) and I know what you’re thinking…..YES that is why I keep her around. Because I suck at baking. But I made these once and I didn’t screw them up, so then I made them twice--screwed them up a little--and they were still fine! If I can do it, you can do it, and Kylee can do it better.  

So I actually made these two different “styles” if you will: once in the oven, once in the fire. The oven was a much more controlled atmosphere obviously, but the campfire was a campfire so that’s always a good time. The following is a jumble of directions for both methods: 


DIRECTIONS:

Pre-heat your oven to 400° or start a fire
              The oven temperature may vary according to which brand of cinnamon rolls you desire.

Prepare the Oranges (can also be done the day before)
              1. Cut Oranges in Half
                  I found it makes step #2 a lot easier to cut the bellybutton nobbers in half instead of leaving them fully in tact. Don’t ask questions. 

              2. Gut Oranges
                  I really don’t care how you do it as long as you get the job done. You just want the fruit out completely and the peel wholly halfed. Here’s how I started doing it after about 8 oranges: Make a small incision between the peel and the fruit (like 3 cm) right next to the bellybutton nobbers. This loosens up the white peely stuff a little bit. Then you just take a spoon and gut. it. out. It’s like walk it out but withhhh.. an orange.

              2½. Dispose of the Body
                      Youre going to have the actual orange part left over. Not a big deal if you’re only doing 5 or 6, but I did like 25 and it was a but load of orange to have to get rid of in a short amount of time. But I’m sure you can get creative. *HEADS UP* Don’t put them all in the blender and make “orange juice.” My mother tried it without my consent and it didn’t taste good.

Place and Pop ‘em
            Now you just open up a can of cinnamon rolls (I used Pillsbury Orange Flavored Rolls) and put one dough roll in each orange half and sort them on a cookie sheet. OVEN: Bake them just like you would if they were any normal cinnamon roll, when they are puffy and golden brown you’re solid. FIRE: Wrap the cookie sheet in tinfoil to create a tent-like cover. Place cookie sheet in coals, being careful of direct heat. If you can find a grate to put it on that would be super cool, but I didn’t have one and I was okay. They did get a little burnt on one end, but there was not a lick left. Just pick off the burnt parts and douse it in frosting and nobody will die. 

Amaze Glaze
            You can use what ever frosting/glaze you want, but here’s what you’ll need for mine:

            1 can sweetened condensed milk
            Roughly 1 cup of powdered sugar (I didn’t measure)
            Sprinkle of Nutmeg
            Spritz of Orange Juice
            Healthy amount of orange zest
            (I didn’t add it but if you had some fresh ginger to zest in as well, people will love you)

            Just mix everything together with a fork until it’s nice and creamy dreamy







Lol okay I really burnt them. Don’t judge me because I mistake differently than you. 



Top rolls with a little zest and bon appitet!  

Make these because they ROCK and camping ROCKS and when you put them together you can ROCK HARDER than the both of them. Pair them with a tinfoil dinner like we did! Doesn’t that sound so fun? It was so tasty. I want to go camping now. 

Love you,
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment