July 3, 2014

Brunch Boats

I came across this recipe while casually perusing around Oprah.com one day. Eggs are one of my favorite foods because they're so simple and so bright, and I love brunch, and crowds. So when I saw an article entitled Easy Brunch Ideas for a Crowd (on Oprah.com, Oprah) I pinned that shiz to my food board as asap as possible. 

The original recipe is found here, but I made a few changes*. Also, they called these Egg Baskets but I changed it to Brunch Boats. I felt that was a much more appetizing name. 


Brunch Boats

Preheat oven to 375° 
       *The original recipe said 350° but even at 375° I had to go 5 mins more than they said

Spray muffin tin with Pam

Put a piece of ham in each cup
       *I used one big thick piece, but a couple really thin slices of great ham would be amazing. 

Crack an egg in each




 




Add embellishments 
       *This is where you really get to be creative--and unless you have fresh thyme laying around like the recipe called for--you’re going to have to be. My fresh herbs were fresh out so I searched through the fridge and found some green onions that I added. You’re going to need to add salt and pepper, always and forever. I also added some paprika and red pepper flakes for some color! 


Bake for 15-20 mins
       *The recipe called for 10-15 minutes but in my oven the eggs didn’t even begin to get white until 10 minutes. When it looked like they were ready I reached in there and wiggled the pan a little bit. If it’s really wiggly, it’s not ready. If it’s kinda wiggly, give it a little longer. If it’s a bit wiggly, the yolk is perfect for a soft runny yolk. If you like your eggs with a hard yolk, you’re not gonna wanna any wiggle. It’s a complex process but with practice you’ll get the hang of it.


Enjoy!



These two pictures are practically the same, you’re not crazy. But I just got my new camera lens and the focus capabilities on that sucker were making me so excited.

 The recipe also called for a table spoon of heavy cream in each boat, but I didn’t have any! I made them the other day with the cream though and it’s very, very delicious. I served these with a side of toast (YEAH TOAST!) and I have been fantasizing about a side of great hash browns that you could pair with it. You could probably even put a layer of hash browns underneath the egg, give it a little more umph.

This really was easy and I’ve ate it twice in the last 3 days. So, yeah. And I know I told you what to do if you like your eggs hard, but please, for the sake of all things good and holy please leave your yolk soft. It’s better that way.

Kayla



No comments:

Post a Comment