May 6, 2014

Communal -- 4.9

Food is my art. And Communal is my Michelangelo.

Seriously though, reading the menu I got teary eyed and just kept making noises. Then as the waiter was telling us the specials I was simultaneously “stank facing” him and developing deep, deep feelings for him.

My dear friend Connor, a fellow foodie, and I decided to celebrate my upcoming 4 month summer and his upcoming 2 year venture in Berlin by indulging ourselves in great food. There was only one obvious choice for such a celebration with two classy kids like us--Communal.

I’ve been telling people that Communal is good for months and the first time I went there was last week. I had tried to go one time before with my mom but they were closed (make note that they have separate lunch and dinner hours) and I think that’s when I knew. The tables were set--modern, thoughtful. It’s a small space--not tight, not claustrophobic, and not “we’re so close to those people I keep accidentally staring at them” small. It's the kind of close that makes you cozy, a won’t-you-be-my-neighbor close (S/O Mr. Rogers). The day Connor and I went was a Thursday around noon and they were a little busy, a nicely dressed man (one of many) took our name and sent us to a bench in the back where we waited for around 20 minutes. But honestly, that entire time I was falling in love with the entire place. The smells, the chef’s, the guests, the lighting, the handsome waiters in suit vests and bow ties. MMM! I kept telling Connor “Yeah, I think this is my favorite restaurant” before we even got to our table ha ha! I can’t explain it but there are just some places you know have good food without ever having to eat a bite. Call it intuition, call it practice, call me crazy, but I’m usually right.

We sat down, I went through the whole stank face/emotional feelings for my waiter ordeal, and we ordered the Blackened Salmon Caesar Salad and some Pork Shoulder Sandwich on Ciabatta with a Verde Sauce, both to split. Communal is cool because they’re all about sharing. They have group items that you can order family style or you can get an appetizer which they actually call “shares.” Cute. Check out their menu here.

I’m not sure if it’s because I had just finished finals or if it was the shining sun or the great food or WHAT, but I was so relaxed sitting there. I was like in the zone of life. Everything inside is so clean, and bright, and whole. Plus, I was looking out the spacious windows to the always classy University Ave. while Connor was talking foodie to me. I kept thinking “MY LIFE SO ROCKS RIGHT NOW.”

LOL and then the food came.

The Salmon Caesar was mint. MINT. Beautifully prepared fish. BEAUTIFUL. And the caesar dressing was just over the fishy/not fishy line into fishy--perfect compliment. So, like…perfect. I was rolling my eyes back into my head and snickering the whole time. Pure joy people. OMG PLUS the lettuce really fit into your mouth. There was no weird, animalistic, embarrassing salad shoving going on my friends. Smooth sailing on that point. My only complaint about the salad was the croutons, mainly because I don’t like to take time away from enjoying my meal to chew a giant, hard piece of bread. But, I’ve never let a crouton stop me before.

Blackened Salmon Caesar Salad

The sandwich was also great. I wish it would have been a little more saucy but that’s how I feel about mostly everything. It was tangy and filling without being FULLing. Connor and I didn’t speak much while eating this one ha ha. We just stuck to the task at hand. Priorities. Oh man and the fries? The fries. I like my fries soft with a bit of a bite, no crunch. Spot on. SPOT ON. Served with Heinz ketchup. Hello? I love Heinz ketchup.


Pork Shoulder (??) Sandwich with Green Verde (same thing) Sauce

But here’s the bad news: it’s a bit pricy. I’m a believer in paying for high quality food on a regular basis. If you’re gonna eat, eat well. And I fully support the “Treat Yo Self” policy as it applies to food (k and everything). However, when you’ve only got “twenny dollas in your pocket” you may need to only go on special occasions. That’s okay though, right? I mean, if you went to Disneyland everyday it wouldn’t be special anymore (lol yeah it would that’s where dreams come true). I’d say if you stay in control you could average to about $13-$14 a plate, plus tip. If you lose control you could get up to $35-$40 per person (but if you deserve it, treat yo self.)

Also, if anyone (preferably men ages 18-25) would like to take me to Communal I would definitely be on board with that b/c I literally only have twenty dollars in my pocket. Throwing it out there.

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment