February 4, 2014

MOA Cafe -- 4.1

I’ve been waiting to try the cafe on top of the BYU Museum of Art (MOA) for a while now. My coworker Bri was basically drooling when she was telling me about it so that could mean two things, she either has rabies or it was a good place to eat. Obviously, I hoped for the latter. I don’t care if she has rabies, I just want good food.

The layout wasn’t quite what I was expecting. There was a round kitchen counter type place that you ordered at, they gave you your food, then you payed across the way. It looked almost like a wedding shower/reception was happening but without the bride, just old ladies and hipsters. I kind of liked it though! Really clean, well dressed waiters, and the fact that it’s so small and intimate made it feel exclusive. *SIDE-NOTE* Their weird hours also contribute to the feeling of exclusivity. They are only open M-F 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. minus Tuesdays when they are closed for the devotional 10:45 a.m.-Noon. It was pretty busy when we got there at noon, but nothing to complain about. Although, one random complaint is that it was really hot when we first walked up (like almost freak out hot), but granted I was wearing a coat and I did just walk up a flight of stairs. So.

Looking at the menu I knew it was my kind of place. Chicken poblano panini. Chilled raspberry soup. Berry salad. But, when everything sounds good it makes it extra annoying for me to order. Luckily for everyone there was no one behind me in line. Getting behind me when I’m ordering from a new restaurant is like getting behind the coupon lady at Wal-Mart. (Please lady, I’ll pay the extra $20 for you to keep your binder closed and we can all get on with our lives.) Anyway, back to me being annoying. I kept asking him questions and finally HE LET ME TRY THE SOUPS! I love it when they do that. Brownie points, Sir.


I decided on the Chicken Club sandwich and the pumpkin soup. I loved everything about the chicken club--except the chicken. The presentation was great, wonderful sundried tomato sauce, bacon, cibatta bread, tomatoes, lettuce, Munster cheese and BOILED CHICKEN. There are very few places where boiled chicken is okay, and a sandwich isn’t one of them. It was fine, but if I were doing it (right) it would be grilled. FOR SURE. At the very least I would throw it on the grill after boiling it to give it some texture and char. Although, it was a small kitchen and maybe they didn’t want to disturb the art with the smell of chicken. But there was still boiled chicken on my sandwich. However, it won’t stop me from eating my leftovers for dinner tonight.

The pumpkin soup on the other hand was all around ahhhhhhhsome. It was sweet but the onions in it (sautéed so they weren’t overbearing) gave it a level of savory. It was like the lighter version of Thanksgiving in a bowl. Plus, I was dipping this rosemary bread in it that came with Katie’s salad. Bread with rosemary. ALL BREAD SHOULD HAVE ROSEMARY.

Overview of the MOA: It’s a "go there with your sisters for brunch" kinda place. I loved everything. But again, I can only deal with boiled chicken.


Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment